13 Nov 2013 Corrections and clarifications
The results of secondary examination (Proceedings of the Prefectural Oversight Committee Meeting for Fukushima Health Management Survey) were amended because of errors. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the problems and any confusion it may have caused. We will improve work operations to prevent problems due to human error.
Because of the errors found in the results of aspiration biopsy cytology (Proceedings of the 11th Prefectural Oversight Committee Meeting for Fukushima Health Management Survey), we started checking if there were any other incorrect data items in the previous surveys. After reviewing the electronic medical record from all the results of the secondary examination from the 8th through 12th Proceedings of the Prefectural Oversight Committee Meeting for Fukushima Health Management Survey, we found that the results contain errors that should be identified and corrected. These are purely data management issues that have no impact on patient care and follow-up.
Corrections to the results have been organized into the following categories.
1) Incorrect data entry. For example, we folded data from 1 August into the total that included data as of 31 July. Other errors have occurred because of data duplication.
2) Incomplete data sheet. The detailed results of secondary examination and the reasons for shifting to general medical examination were unclear.
3) Incorrect classification. We mistakenly classified some of the participants with ‘A2’ result as ‘Advised to be monitored’ when they needed further examination because of other health problems.
Note that Errata in the Proceedings of the 12th Prefectural Oversight Committee Meeting for Fukushima Health Management Survey in English is available.
Solutions to mistake proofing
1) Revise the data sheet to avoid any misunderstanding between doctors and the clerical staff who record secondary examination data by adding a description box to write down details of the results.
2) Separate the staff responsible for organizing data from members responsible for secondary examination to form a special team in charge of data processing.
3) Work with an external institution to cross-check the data. Signing a non-disclosure agreement, the institution would tally, check and periodically cross-check the data tallied by the special team organizing data inside the university.